Huskies are an amazing dog breed, but they can be difficult to take care of. They need a lot of grooming and brushing, which takes time and patience.
If you’re considering getting one as a pet, it’s important that you know how to maintain their coat properly so that they stay happy and healthy for years to come.
Huskies do not need to be bathed often, but when you do wash them, it’s important to use the right shampoo.
The best dog shampoo for huskies comes from FURminator, Healthy Breeds, Honest Paws, and Burt’s Bees. All of these come highly recommended by dog owners from all over the world. Plus, they have a formula you can trust with a fair amount of reliable ingredients that will make your husky’s skin and coat clean and shiny.
The four shampoos for huskies mentioned below made the grade by considering several factors. The ingredients were at the top of the checklist followed by trusted reviews along with a detailed overview of owners’ experiences with each.
Let’s look at each one in more detail.
FURminator DeShedding Ultra
FURminator isn’t just the best de-shedding shampoo for huskies but a great all-around cleanser.
Enriched with Omega Fatty Acids along with calendula and papaya leaf extracts, it promotes a healthy, shiny coat and skin.
There are no parabens or dyes, which make it ideal for monthly use.
- Gentle yet strong enough for monthly grooming at home
- Contains lots of good fatty acids to condition and nourish the coat and skin
- Has plenty of natural extracts and herbals to remove excess fur
What We Like About the FURminator
This shampoo is free of anything that could potentially hurt a husky’s coat and skin.
There are no harsh chemicals, dyes, or parabens.
You can read and understand everything that’s on the label.
What We Don’t Like About the FURminator
One ingredient says “fragrance” and another is “salt.” Why would you need to add salt to a dog shampoo? No one knows.
Also, if your dog has particularly sensitive skin, the fragrance (whatever it is) could create irritations.
- It really works to get rid of excess hair
- The smell is quite lovely and lasts for a week
- Has a nice lather that feels good
- Cleans deep down into the hair follicles
- Hair comes out hours after washing
- Results aren’t always immediate
- Can promote excessive shedding days after
- Avoid if sensitive skin is a problem for your husky
Healthy Breeds Whitening Shampoo
This shampoo is specifically for huskies and it enhances the white and light-colored aspects of their coats beautifully.
It cleans while boosting the coat’s shine and luster.
Plus, it can control matting and tangling, making their hair easy to brush with an awesome aroma of Piña Colada.
- Brightens and enhances the lighter shades of a husky’s coat
- Designed specifically for the breed
- Moisturizes and nourishes with a balanced pH
What We Like About Healthy Breeds
This shampoo lathers richly and rinses out easily, leaving your husky’s coat and skin moisturized and smelling fantastic.
It’s tearless and protein enriched for the ultimate in pampering.
What We Don’t Like About Healthy Breeds
There are a lot of difficult-to-read ingredients along with some that are concerning.
For instance, there are chemical dyes like FD;C Blue #1 and D;C Violet #2 along with something called Ammonium Xylenesulfonate.
Also, while they promote it as a tearless product, the instructions specifically state, “avoid contact with eyes”.
- Smells great
- It Lathers well and rinses out easily
- A little dab will lather exponentially
- Great for dogs that like rolling in the dirt
- Lots of worrying chemicals
- The smell doesn’t last
- Can aggravate skin allergies
Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner
What’s fabulous about this 5-in1 shampoo by Honest Paws is that it’s strong enough to clean deep down to a husky’s follicles yet gentle enough to be hypoallergenic on the skin.
It has a beautiful smell of coconut that leaves your dog’s coat soft, clean and shiny.
- 98.25% all-natural ingredients
- Contains oatmeal, aloe, coconut oil, and palm oil
- No sulfates, parabens, or dyes
What We Like About Honest Paws
This is a completely safe and non-irritating formula guaranteed to make your pup look and smell good.
It’s great for any breed, but excellent for huskies.
What We Don’t Like About Honest Paws
This does tend to be on the pricier side and not ideal if you’re on a tight budget.
Plus, it does tend to run out of the bottle and it’s easy to use too much.
- Tearless formula doesn’t irritate dog’s eyes
- Smells wonderful and it lasts
- Lathers well but not overly so
- Many reports of reduced scratching and itchiness
- Leaves the coat smooth and soft
- Some dogs experience enhanced skin problems
- Some reports of dandruff after a few days
Burt’s Bees Dog Care Plus+ Shampoo Spray
Burt’s Bees is always top-of-the-line.
Their waterless dog shampoo is no exception.
It’s hydrating, all-natural, pH balanced, and has emollients like coconut oil.
This means it can penetrate the long, thick coat of a husky.
- Gently cleans while it moisturizes
- Vet-recommended and 100% safe
What We Like About Burt’s Bees
This dry shampoo from Burt’s Bees is a pure product with high-end ingredients without a high-end price tag. It’s affordable and effective.
What We Don’t Like About Burt’s Bees
Even though there’s coconut oil, you will have to apply a lot onto a husky’s big, long and thick fur coat. So, while it is inexpensive, you will go through many bottles in a brief period of time.
- Very safe and soothing for dry, sensitive skin
- Reduces itching and scratching
- Softens the pads on the bottom of the paws
- Detangles and works out matted hair
- Great accompaniment after normal bathing
- It doesn’t have much of a scent
- Not ideal for grass allergies
- Thin and runny like water
- Some reports of ineffectiveness
- Emphasizes natural dog odors
What to Look for When Buying Shampoo for Huskies?
Of course, when shopping around for husky shampoo, there are several things you should think about. First, and irrespective of anything about the product, will be your dog’s special skin and coat needs. Some huskies have really rough coats that need extra moisture while others have very delicate skin.
Once you’ve determined that, then consider brand reliability and the specific ingredients along with a good review of what other people have to say about it. Whenever you have doubts, contact your vet for their suggestions.
It’s always better to go with a trusted, well-known brand that’s been around for a while. Even though it’s not foolproof, you will at least receive customer support if you experience any problems or concerns. You may not be so lucky with more obscure, lesser-known brands.
Probably even more important than brand reliability are the ingredients that make up the shampoo formulation. This will be particularly poignant if your husky has sensitive skin or experiences allergies. Regardless, if you can’t pronounce the ingredients (or at least identify what they are), don’t put them on your dog’s skin.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
When you peruse the reviews, don’t just look up the positive. You should also consider negative ones. Weigh the pros against the cons to see if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Final Thoughts On The Best Dog Shampoo For Huskies
The best dog shampoo for huskies is subjective and depends on the type of coat your pup has, as well as their skin sensitivity, and possible allergies.
The four types we’ve highlighted in this article are a great starting point if you want to find a new favorite that will leave your pet feeling soft and smelling fresh.
Here they are once again:
- FURminator Deshedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo: Best Deshedding Shampoo for Huskies
- Healthy Breeds Siberian Husky Bright Whitening Shampoo
- Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner: Best for Sensitive Skin
- Burt’s Bees Dog Care Plus+ Shampoo Spray: Best Dry Shampoo
Can I Use Human Shampoo On My Husky?
No, you should never use human shampoo on your dog as it will strip their coat of natural oils, leaving it dry and irritated.
Is All-Natural Shampoo Better For My Husky?
It’s not always necessary to go for an all-natural option, but if your dog has sensitive skin or you’re looking for a more environmentally friendly product, then there are some great all-natural choices available.
What Is The Best Way To Bathe a Husky?
The best way to bathe a husky is to use lukewarm water and avoid getting water in their ears. Gently massage the shampoo into their coat, making sure to avoid their eyes, and rinse thoroughly. Huskies have a double coat, so you may need to rinse a few times to make sure all the shampoo is removed.
How Often Should I Bathe My Husky?
Huskies don’t need to be bathed as often as other breeds as they are self-cleaning. How often you wash them will depend on how dirty they get and whether they have any skin issues that require more frequent bathing. Generally speaking, once every few months should be sufficient.